Date: 28th June 2017
Location: Gripple Riverside
In order to maximise opportunities presented by the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund, the MD Club are hosting a series of interactive, facilitated workshops (sandpits) working alongside regional businesses and academics on the challenge areas, and funding calls, in which the Sheffield City Region is best positioned to respond.
What is the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF)?
- The ISCF is a fund to invest in science and innovation challenges, to meet the demands and opportunities of UK industry
- The Government has committed to an additional £4.7 billion investment in science & innovation – the greatest single increase for nearly 40 years
- Of this £4.7 billion investment, £270 million was announced in the March budget for the following calls:
– Developing artificial intelligence and robotics for offshore energy, nuclear energy and space
– Designing and manufacturing better batteries for new electric vehicles
– Improving medicine manufacturing technologies to speed up patient access to drugs
The ISCF will initially be focused on 8 challenge areas (with a further 2 in consideration) where there is the greatest market potential, excellent UK research and industrial capability, where the timing is right for a major drive, and where public money can work alongside private sector investment to make the UK a world-leader
The sandpits will provide the opportunity for businesses to discuss:
- What are your ideas? Do you see opportunities for growth? Do you have a vision around these challenges?
- What is your role in the supply chain around these challenges? Who do you need to be working with?
- Do we have local issues and can we build on local research assets and industrial capability?
- How can the universities work with you to support your ideas? What do we need to do as an enabler?